So what makes carrots special?Oh they are a lot and we'll be discussing them below:
1. Carrots prevents night blindness- carrots are known to be rich in Beta-carotene which when taken is converted into Vitamin A by the liver, transferred to the retina then to the rhodopsin which is the light sensitive part of the eye that enables vision in low light conditions. Thus, carrots supplies, through Beta-carotene adequate Vitamin A to the rhodopsin to control night blindness.
2. Cancer prevention- carrots reduces the risks of lung cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer. How?, scientists recently discovered falcarinol and falcarindiol in the roots of carrots which they feel cause the anti cancer properties. Falcarinol is a natural pesticide produced by carrots that protects its roots from fungal diseases while falcarindiol is the main compound responsible for bitterness in carrots.
3. Healthy skin- The magical Beta-carotene and Vitamin A in carrots also acts as antioxidant to cell damage done to the body by the sun. They also prevent aging, premature wrinkling, acne, dry skin, blemishes and uneven skin tone. Carrots can also be used as a very inexpensive and convenient beauty face mask(+)
4. Prevention of heart diseases- High cholesterol is a major factor that triggers heart diseases. Since regular consumption of carrots reduces cholesterol level,it is adviced to eat at least enough everyday.
5. Controls blood pressure- Carrots are rich in potassium, which is a vasodilator and can relax the tension of the blood vessels and arteries, thereby increasing blood flow and easy circulation.
Sources: Organic facts, Wikipedia.